Adaptation, biodiversity, and the environment
Essential elements from today’s lecture:
1. This course focuses on both the traditional topics of plant ecology
- physiological ecology
- functional and evolutionary ecology
- ecology of regional landscapes and also on topics central to the future of plant ecology
- ecology of urban landscapes
- appreciation of the many global impacts on plants
- a solution's based approach to sustainability
2. Plants as integrated systems.
3. A consideration of the ways in which economic analogies are relevant to understanding adaptive responses by plants.
4. Acclimation versus adaptation; genetic variation among plant populations of the same species.
5. Time and space considerations when understanding plant adaptations, acclimation responses, and competitive interactions.
6. Equilibrium and disturbance impacts on plant performance.
7. Global changes occurring today that impact plant performance, distribution, and interspecific interactions.
Terms to be familiar with from this lecture